The Black Bull
1 Marsh Lane
Shepley
Huddersfield
HD8 8AE

Tel: 01484 606819

1900 Champions
1900 Champions

Shepley founded it's Cricket Club at a meeting in the Black Bull Inn on 21 July 1871.  Mr Kaye Armitage, a local mill owner, played a prominent and active part in the club's formation. The first Head Quarters were on Lane Head Road, adjacent to Cliffe House.
In its early days, the club also played at Stag Fields (167-169 Abbey Road) and employed their first professional player in 1874, a cricketer by the name of R. Crooks.
Throughout the 1880s, the club took part in friendy matches.  This early period also witnessed "workshop cricket" - where local firms would challenge each other on the cricket field. Opon the outcome, the losing team bought the winners a pie and pea supper.  During this period Shepley also had a womens XI side.
In 1888 Shepley Cricket Club received a notice to leave their first ground.  This forced the club to fold, temporarily.  It reformed soon after and played for 2 or 3 seasons on the land adjacent to the old Stag Inn, and around 1891 the club moved to its present site - Marsh Lane.  This ground was loaned to the club by the local brewery.
Shepley were late starters in respect of the league competition and did not rush to join the first wave of leagues that were formed in the early 1890s.  However, one Shepley side did have an early taste of competitive cricket, Shepley Methodists New Connexion Cricket Club were playing in the Huddersfield and District Junior Cricket Alliance in 1894 and by 1900 the club had entered a team in the Dearne Valley League.  It was in 1900 that the club won the Dearne Valley League "A Group" championship and in 1901 the club moved to play in the Huddersfield Combination League.
1901 also saw a first cup final appearance, Lepton were the opponents in a low-scoring combination cup decider.  After being dismissed for 80, Shepley's attack tore into the Highlander's batting, leaving them 30 for 7.  At this point news travelled back to Shepley that victory was almost assured, which prompted the Shepley Brass Band to set off and meet the victorious team on it's way home, but as the band reached Stone Wood Bottom, news that Lepton had rallied to win by 1 wicket reached them and they hastily returned home.
By 1906 Shepley were back in the Dearne Valley League and they won the title in 1912 and then in 1913 they scooped the combination cup and finished second in the championship.
In 1925 Shepley emerged as champions of the Huddersfield Central League and reached the final of the Tinker cup.  Then during 1940s to 1950s Shepley went through a lean period, having to apply for re-election to the league.  The leading figure during these dark times was Leonard Battye, whose enthusiasm was vital in keeping Shepley alive.  He introduced, and ran, both the ground improvement scheme and the forecast draw which placed the club on a sound financial footing.
In 1961 electricity was installed in the pavilion and at the same time work began on new toiled facilities.  The effect seemed to be immediate, as in 1962 the club scooped the F.E. Greenwood ground improvement trophy.
In 1966 Shepley won the Hinchcliffe Cup as champions of section "b", and also bagged the Schweppes cup, based on the 2nd XI's performance during the last six matches of the summer.
A contract was signed for the purchase of the Marsh Lane field freehold in 1967 and two years later, in 1969, the title deeds of the ground were formally handed over by league president Alec Lodge.
Shepley celebrated their centenary in 1971 and also opened their new tea room.
After an amazing run
, Shepley were defeated by Broad Oak in the final of the 1978 Sykes Cup. In 1981 South African Neil Jurgensen became the first batsman for seven years to score over 1,000 runs in a season. Shepley also entered the prestigious Heavy Woollen Cup competition for the first time. In 1988 Indian superstar Sunil Gavaskar brought an International XI to Shepley to play against a Huddersfield League XI in a Benefit Match.
Today,
Marsh Lane is one of the most attractive venues on the local cricket circuit.

And all this began here in the Black Bull, Shepley.

1952 Team
1952 Team
1982 Champions
1982 Champions
1988 Sunil Gavaskar Visit
1988 Sunil Gavaskar Visit